Saturday, January 14, 2012

Quick Floral Frog

The thing I love about having a neutral home is that when the mood strikes it is so cheap and easy to add a pop of color. Flowers are usually the fastest and cheapest route so it becomes a bit of a game to find fun and creative ways to incorporate them in unusual ways.

Usually the cheapest flowers at my grocery store are carnations. They are not super glamorous or even that popular nowadays but when I'm looking for temporary color cheap is the biggest factor.



A really cheap and neat way I have found for displaying flowers with thin stems is by repurposing a parmesan/chili shaker as a floral frog. I have a few frogs, but with clear containers they aren't all that pretty. Plus this takes all the guess work out of flower arranging by separating and staging the blooms pretty much effortlessly.

I was given this one in a pile of cast offs from a family member but even brand new I am sure they are pretty cheap and easy to track down.


A little color for a winter kitchen.

16 comments:

Jennifer @ Town and Country Living said...

Ingenious! I'm definitely stealing this idea.

Razmataz said...

People always apologize for carnations, but I think they are really lovely. Not when they are dyed appalling shades of blue, but the pretty pinks and whites look great in a group. Your container looks really great. And they have a very pretty scent.

Karena said...

Wow now that is a great idea!! Very creative!

You go girl!

Xoxo
Karena
Art by Karena

Unknown said...

I love carnations. :)

Jo said...

This is such a cute idea! Love the splash of color!

joannadell.blogspot.com

Jemmmma said...

Thanks for the beautiful photos holly! I think all flowers are pretty. Especially in your lovely home!

Maxwellhouseinteriors.Blogspot.Com

Anonymous said...

LOVE IT! It is pretty much the norm around here to have fresh flowers in the house. Budget, however, is always a consideration and good old carnations fit the bill perfectly. LOVE your stove by the way! Much love, Lisa

Unknown said...

I think your carnations look awesome! Who said they couldn't be anyway? lol Love the shaker container. Last month I made candle lanterns out of them for the holidays and posted about it. They are just great little things....

Jo said...

Cute idea! Carnations are pretty. My favourite flowers to buy are tulips from Costco.

Barbara said...

So cute, I love carnations.

Sherry @ Thrift My House said...

I love this!
Sherry's Bees Nest

Melinda said...

What a great idea! Thanks for sharing that tip - Im going to be hunting a couple down ASAP!

Kacey said...

Cute idea! I can't wait to pick up a shaker and try this. I'm kind of terrible at flower arranging. Also, how cool is your happy yellow "EAT"?!

Cindy said...

Love!

Art and Sand said...

Yesterday I was looking for little splashes of color from my garden. I found some greenery and popped it into a cut last cruet. It made a nice little addition to my bathroom shelf. Flowers make me smile.

Sammy said...

Love your blog! I just found it!

 
Blogging tips