Monday, January 16, 2012

I don't know what has gotten into my system, but I have been making mini tweaks to pretty much everything in my life! From the dining room to some big changes happening in our bedroom I will be sharing soon, I made a small change from my natural hair color of medium brown to a dark strawberry blonde. I have been wanting to do something with my hair but didn't want to dish out the moola and go to the salon so Wren and I made a stop at Sally Beauty Supply last week and picked up some toner to do it at home.


I have had some experience with doing salon coloring at home thanks to an awesome friend who gave me the low down when she was kind enough to do it for me at her house, but it can still be intimidating once it is all slathered into your hair and before you rinse it out. Will come out orange, purple, maybe even green??? All of those thoughts run through my head each and every time!

But thankfully it turned out as planned!

For all those who have asked how my hair is so long already after chopping it all off last March (full story here), I have been both blessed and cursed with really quick growing hair. The good part is that it makes cutting my hair fun since even if I hate it short it only stays that way for about 8 months, but the bad part is that coloring my hair is a nightmare. The reason it cannot be kept up at a salon regularly is that it would cost me hundreds of dollars a month if I needed my roots touched up professionally. Hence my persistence in learning to professionally lighten at home.

I really love the color (for anyone looking to lighten at home I used a 10 volume developer with a level 7.1 ash blonde), specially because it isn't too drastic a change to need troublesome weekly touch ups.

Have you been making any big changes so far in 2012?


22 comments:

Michelle said...

Love the color! {Loved your old color too.}

................. said...

Love your hair. Been dying to cut mine soon. It grows so fast too.

Casey said...

I'm loving how regularly you're blogging lately! I missed it during "Kitchen Chaos 2011." Keep it up!!

Stacey said...

This colour looks really good on you Holly, You did such a rest job doing it at home!

xoxo
Stacey

http://fiveminutestyle.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

Love it!

Shannon Dew said...

Looks great and I am so jealous of your fast growing hair! I feel like I've been growing mine forever and it's just now as long as yours!

Kellie said...

Please, oh please share more details about the new color.

Jenski said...

Great color! My hair may not grow as quickly as yours, but those expensive root touch-ups keep me from coloring mine as well.

The White City Project said...

The colour turned out awesome - it's beautiful! I am a salon girl now, but I used to always colour my own hair. The savings can be huge, for sure.

Pine Tree Home said...

I wish I was a brave as you to do this at home. I change up my hair color somewhat frequently and would love to save some moolah.

Cindy @ Creating at Home said...

Your new color is beautiful! Good for you for doing it yourself at home. I quit coloring my hair after getting it done (or doing it myself) for 20 years. Not sure I like the natural look... we'll see!

Cindy
(former hairdresser)

Anonymous said...

Oh, just LOVELY! My daughter is blessed with natural strawberry-blond hair and is always asked...is that from a bottle? As for changes myself in 2012...I'm taking a much needed and VERY overdue break from wearing...black! So far, so good! Much love, Lisa

Kris Vogelsang said...

Gorgeous color! Looks very natural...

Valerie@chateaualamode.typepad.com said...

Oh my goodness your hair looks amazing. You are so brave. I wish I could/would do my own hair. I could save so much money :)

Little Lovables said...

I absolutely love it! And it really has a soft, natural look too. Though as a hairstylist, the level 10 vol with a 7.1 wouldn't lighten for most people :)

Itchin' Stitchin' said...

Love the new color!!! How exactly do you do it at home? I have done box sets but never liked the results.. yours came out so natural looking. I also have really fast growing hair, every year I donate to locks of love.

Misty said...

Holly! I love your blog - I am totally hooked - our styles are very similar and so it's great getting ideas and inspiration from your site. Thank you for all of the hard work you put into sharing your awesome design and decor style with us! We just finished a backyard cottage at our home ... loving it! We did a tounge and groove painted pine ceiling in there and it looks great! I always thought that your ceilings were tounge and groove as well but JUST read a post about how they are actually beadboard - WOWZA! ~ Awesome and SO much less work, I imagine! That particular post had mentioned that Sean was going to write a post on how to do beadboard ceilings ... I couldn't find it - just wondering if he has written one and if so, where I can find it ... thinking we may want to try out this project in our home office. Again, keep up the great work - I sure wish we lived closer as I would love to hang out and chat decor stuff over one of those awesome new coffees you've managed to come up with at home with your new Keurig and milk steamer - we've had our Keurig for years - LOVE it! :) ~ Misty

Kara Sullivan said...

What brand of hair color do you use? I currently only go to the salon but its getting a little expensive. I'd like to try it at home but Im intimidated by all the choices.

Thanks.

KS

Rebecca said...

Love the hair color! It looks great! Can't wait to see the dining room update!

Barbara said...

Looks so good.

bagfashionista said...

that's gorgeous, holly! love the soft curls too!

pity i wouldn't dare do it, what's with the jet black hair and everything. my eyebrows will soooo not match!! lol!

steph

Liz said...

Great job on the color - your brows match perfectly too!

 
Blogging tips