Wednesday, January 11, 2012

$200 dining room update


Remember when I said I wanted to change a few things in the dining room? Well, Sean didn't go for my new light suggestion (it probably didn't help that the light I want is $1000) so I've made due with what we have and put a gift card to use that my grandma sent for Christmas to add a couple finishing touches which in the end brought my grand total spent to absolutely nothing!


I only purchased new lamps ($150 for 2) and a mirror ($20). The lamps were a little more than I usually would spend but were a good investment for 2 reasons.
1. I have been wanting these turned wood lamps for AGES. I saw them at HomeSense about 2 months ago in a much lighter wood for $100 each. Couldn't justify the price considering I had no idea where I'd put them.

2. This room is HUGE (it's a living/dining room with vaulted ceilings), yet there is only 1 chandelier so mood lighting is a necessity and I've neglected that over the last few years.

What I've been really trying to find is a large area rug for in here, but on a trip to HomeSense recently I found the lamps on sale for $74 and in a darker stain and the mirror on clearance for $20 so I popped them in my cart and chalked it up to good luck!

So then when we moved my oldest and most favorite sideboard of all time in here (we bought it with wedding gift money and plan to hold on to it forever!) the plan came together in a flash. Bring the lamps in here, move around the plate formation a little (which is easy and mess free thanks to using those 3M hooks that stick right on the wall) and switch out our Ikea chairs for my linen chairs.

Yes, I am aware that it is not normal to have 2 sets of dining room chairs. But depending on my mood I like the bright white Ikea chairs or this linen covered version I also bought at HomeSense a year or so back on clearance. It made a lot more sense when we had a table in the kitchen too...

Daily household items make the best decor in my book. Plates and candles can be found in abundance in our house so I might as well make the most out of them! And anything displayed in large quantities make a good impact, no matter how simple.


The table has been a project that I have been meaning to get to for about 2 years now. It seemed to constantly get smaller items set on top of it so I never made it a priority until just a couple weeks ago when Sean expressed his love of rectangular tables. I am more of a round table girl myself, but I thought it was time for a change.

I did white paint on the legs and a light grey on the top, then wore it down to show both white and wood.



Besides a rug the other item I'm trying to track down is a nice set of freeze dried boxwood plants for my cast iron urns. The trees caught (or already had) some sort of bug and didn't make it. I figure I am not destined to have live plants in this room so I am going to invest in the next best thing, formerly living shrubs.

The old captains chair has been a treasure of mine for many years, but I rarely have a spot for it since it is pretty large. The new table set needed some variety so it makes a nice addition at the end of the table.

Being able to swap out furniture at a moments notice is definitely a perk in my business, but it can be a challenge to work with something that isn't a perfect fit. This table is quite small for our big room, but the charm it has makes it a good fit. Ideally we'd like a really long farmhouse table, but we are happy to wait until the perfect one comes along at the right price.

I love that the table has a drawer too!

It has been fun pulling together a mini makeover, but something about this look is finally feeling like the right fit! So I think it may be a look that we will be living with for quite some time, even if a few of the components change out as I paint new items.

And while we're on the topic, can anyone recommend a good source for freeze dried boxwood? I've only tracked down large pieces from Restoration Hardware but they are about $200 each... a little more than I want to spend! Merci mes amis

27 comments:

Angie@Echoes of Laughter said...

Holly~Everything looks lovely! The lamps are perfect! The lighting in your house is beautiful..I live in Edmonton too, and early in the day is the best time to photograph with natural light this time of year! Angie xo

www.MaisonStGermain.com said...

WOW!!!!What an absolutely gorgeous room! That belongs in a magazine/book. I love everything about it. Thanks so much for the inspiration:)
~Debra xxx
Capersofthevintagevixens.blogspot.com

WhisperWood Cottage said...

Fabulous, as always, Holly! I love your painted furniture and the new lamps!!

carli said...

Love the new look Holly! So impressed with how you tie together so many shades of white and grey to make for a seamless, comforting, time-worn and warm white-washed look! Beautiful! Love the blog. Keep up the great work ;)

laxsupermom said...

Your dining room looks amazing! Love the new lamps! They're so substantial, and you got them for a great price. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Oh, Holly! Fabulicious! I pinned one of your photos! Simply, stunning! Sorry I'm not able to give any tips on the boxwood. It would look stunning! Much love, Lisa

Kristin @ My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia said...

The room is gorgeous!!! Love every inch of it! Now I need to go back and see where the large fabulous mirror came from :)
XO
Kristin

Karen said...

Wow your room is gorgeous, love it all!

Kim @ keller-creative said...

I cant believe that mirror was only $20! What an amazing deal.

LL from KS said...

Your room looks perfect now! I love the lamps! I have a little lamp "problem" as I am always buying them even if I don't need them! Love the monochromatic look. I'd love it if you share your source if you ever find the boxwoods. RH are ridiculously priced!

Rachel Schofield - Virtual Interior Decorator & Home Stager said...

Have you been featured in any local magazines yet? If not, you should be. :)

Kacey said...

Beautiful! I love those lamps. You have such a gift for pulling a room (house!) together.

Unknown said...

Loving the captains chair & your new mirror!


P.S - Thanks for your kind words. :)

MrsKBJ said...

Everything looks so beautiful holly! Great finds!

As far as boxwood...... Check amazon. I saw a few on there when i was looking a few months back. I wound up getting 2 of the 5 1/2 little boxwoods from restoration hardware. I love them!
http://www.restorationhardware.com/catalog/product/product.jsp?productId=prod1679221&categoryId=search

Unknown said...

Thank you so much ladies!!

Angie, of course I know where you live silly. Still laugh over our Michaels run in LOL.

Rachel, no ma'am, but that would be FUNNNN.

Thanks for the lead Kelly! I love the RH ones SOOOO much, but I need the 24 inch ones and it is going to make me crazy to pay that. So I am off to check amazon~

Suzy, any time girly. I'm off to see what you've been up to.

Giggles said...

I love Homesense, so many goodies in there! I always enjoy a quick peek into your place!! Looks wonderful! As for a rug, I got my silver one at Homesense over a year ago, and I got a wonderful a grey looking or black and white flecked awesome rug at costco! Have you checked costco? I love how soft they are plus they carry a lot of light colors in different sizes! Good luck with the boxwoods too!

Hugs Giggles

Stacey said...

Your house is just so gorgeous!! You decorate and accessorise everything beautifully! I love the mirror, I can't believe it was only $20

xoxo
Stacey

http://fiveminutestyle.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Your dining room is beautiful! I love all of the white and texture! So pretty!

primjillie said...

I love your light fixture! If you ever replace it, you will have to let us know. I love your white chair also ~ love that worn look.

Jill Palumbo

holly said...

i haven't seen these in person, but they look lovely online: http://www.bella-marie.com/preservedboxwood.aspx

your room is beautiful!

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

Gorgeous!! I love the large mirror.
xo, Sherry

Anonymous said...

Looks beautiful! You mentioned the 3M hooks for the wall, what do you use on the plates? I have several large ironstone platters I would like to hang, and any metal plate hangers I have seen are not large enough.
Thanks!
Cindy

Comeca Jones said...

Everything looks so nice!

Jo said...

Your dining room looks lovely! I like how the lamps and mirror stand out in the white white room. And the finish on that table is beautiful.

jennifer bianca said...

i really like the addition of the new captains chairs. I also recently hung plates as well! your style is great.. it's very similar to mine. stop by my blog sometime! i'm creating my version of a french eclectic home one DIY piece at a time! -jennifer
www.casettabianca.blogspot.com

Emreen said...

What a beautiful dining room... White rocks ..!!

Paula said...

Stunning - LOVE those lamps!

 
Blogging tips