Monday, January 9, 2012

Happy Monday.

Despite the fact that the days have been a little gray (but unseasonably warm so I'm not complaining!) I have been on a grey streak in the paint lab. Maybe I am somewhat like a chameleon and I like everything to be monochromatic and blend into one another... I'll have to ponder on that a little more.


But I've also been on a streak as far as finding really great candidates for WhiteBerry makeovers (which is hindering my progress on the already huge pile I've accumulated over the last 3 years of doing this!)

This old sideboard is a prime example. Just chipped and scratched a little but still beautiful.

A little grey makes me happy, particularly that shade that hangs right between white and grey. It is soft and yet not too feminine.



The original hardware was beautiful and I am not one to tamper with perfection!


This dresser was nothing really special at first glance. In fact it looked kind of cheap when I first saw it with ugly brass hardware detracting from the classic French lines.


So I went classic and white with this one.

Simple elegance is always the best kind.

You may have noticed my newspaper deer from last year (instructions here) has been making a few appearances. I don't think he is going to go back in the Christmas pile this year, and may just hang out all year round. He's got a good personality!

I went with really old victorian style handles but in a modern brushed nickel finish for the a balance of old and new.

The legs were particularly cool!


I threw this little table into my production line late last week after bringing it home unexpectedly. It is one of those items that was probably mass produced about 5 years ago because it has Malaysia stamped all over it, but the good lines are undeniable!


Another grey paint job for a Swedish feel.


Hall/phone tables are always a good find and even when I've got a lot I never leave one behind in my treasure hunting excursions. They are small and I have a lot of corners so I can always make room for them.

The cute little knob was one I've held onto for about a year, waiting for the right item. It was from Michaels but I only ever found one with this cute little clock face.


I know that for years now I have been sharing painted furniture, befores and afters and transformations of all kinds. And for years now I have kept saying I am working on an ebook and soon it will be ready... but it just seems to be one of those things that always sits on the back burner. Since I've already gone to so much trouble to write so much material I thought it would be fun to instead do a blog mini series on how I transform furniture!

We'll be starting this Friday with the first chapter: The Basics. We'll cover everything up to the first coat of paint.

And a happy Monday to you!

28 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very much looking forward to the new series!! Keep up the great work.

Unknown said...

All three of these are beautiful, but the first one is just breathtaking to me! The whole presentation is just over the top! The branches on the wall, etc. Super nice.

Between Blue and Yellow said...

All so pretty, I love to see your stuff. That first one was such a great find. I love sideboard/buffets.

Unknown said...

I especially like the 2nd piece of furniture with the silver handles.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your post!I'm looking forward to your series, they are very timely 'cause I have some projects to paint! Love your blog, especially your kitchen makeover!
Blessings,
Cindy

Kris Vogelsang said...

Love the latest line of furniture! I am in a 'grey' mood lately too! Looking forward to the ebook....

Keri said...

I absolutely LOVE that sideboard. I'm looking for something like this to use as a TV stand (I think the drawers are perfect for blankets and DVD's and other things). I love seeing the before-and-afters because it's teaching me to look at potential pieces (victims?) in a different way. I hope I find something this cool!

Karen said...

Gorgeous pieces, beautifully done. I love the Victorian hardware it really made that table shine.

kaylan said...

beautiful as always, holly!

i think i have a dresser that coordinates with the first buffet. it's the same wood color, has the exact same hardware, and mimics the curves and chunkiness of the buffet. i've been debating whether to paint it (it's quite dinged) or what color if i do - it's nice to see examples that would be nearly identical if i do go ahead.

Rebecca said...

Excited about the new series! AND I love that frenchie tall boy, and everything about it! It looks awesome! Well done!

Ilke said...

That would be a great mini-series I would like to follow. What is the paint brand and color you used on the first piece?
I am not so much of a DIYer but I try hard for the sake of saving money. So it will be good to follow the basics.

Jo said...

Wow! I love these renovations!

joannadell.blogspot.com

Christine said...

Hi Holly,
I am currently drooling over the old sideboard...what a great find! I look forward to the new series.
Have a beautiful day!

Little Lovables said...

Stunning, I love the grey kick you are in. And the blog mini series is wonderful! I have about 5 pieces that are desperate for a makeover and I need some direction :)

Vintage Home said...

Wow the side board is stunning...great job!

Krystal Wight Armstrong said...

Oh that is Amazing! I cannot wait to read all the details & info! There's so much to comment on in this post, but that last bit of news is very exciting; don't think I realized (or remembered) you were doing an e-book anyway, but in blog posts is an even better idea...something we can view freely, or will there be a charge I wonder? Other comments: Is that lamp's shade a project you did, the whole lamp is very cool. And I've always loved that little deer, I'd keep her out all year, too! Those nickle handles are some of the coolest I've seen in awhile, too, are they from your usual place? And yes, you are right, those leafy legs are one of the prettiest details of the post! I'd want the piece just for those. Thanks for sharing all the prettiness :)

Rasonda @ East Conolly Cottage said...

Those are all so beautiful they make me sigh longingly... hahaha! Great job on all of them! Cant wait to see whats next.

The enchanted home said...

Holy moly do those things look GORGEOUS......wow I am most impressed, you gave them a beautiful new life~!

Haley {A Dash of Kennedy} said...

You inspire me so much! I am currently looking for a french provincial dresser/buffet to paint for a tv stand and I can't get enough of your work! Too bad I live in the US! I can't wait for your ebook to come out. Definitely a must read!

Kelli said...

Thank you for sharing this - I loved all of them. You have quite a knack! Looking forward to the series :o)

stephanie said...

Hi-
Lovely transformations, but i am such a dork because what i want to know is...where did the cute bag come from? I have to have one:)
Stephanie

Rachel Schofield - Virtual Interior Decorator & Home Stager said...

The detailing on that sideboard is phenomenal. Your makeovers always turn out fantastically.

I can't wait to get one of your pieces into one of my client's home. (Or better yet, mine.)

www.rachellabelle.com

Rachael said...

The new series sounds amazing - can't wait!

Holly Austin said...

Yay for the new series! All three of these pieces are gorgeous, but that first one is doubly (?) breathtaking to me. It's stunning!

Becky said...

Awesome Holly! I cant wait! Looks like you have been busy busy! Love that big sideboard-stunning :)

Hope all is well!
Becky :)

Barbara said...

Lookng forward to this series, all three pieces are just gorgeous!

Heidi said...

Wow, I love that sideboard! You do such great work.

Melissa Marie Head said...

Wow those all turned out amazing!

 
Blogging tips