Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Kitchen Appliances... and a new direction

If you've been following us from the start, about a year and a half ago you might remember this plan I had for the future kitchen reno. As you can see, it isn't a few coats of paint sort of job, hence why it has yet to be done almost 2 years after moving in.
Well, we bought the floors and have only the kitchen and stairway remaining to install, and just recently we decided to pull the trigger on our appliances (finally!!!). If you've done a kitchen from scratch you know that you can't even think about cabinetry or counters until you have you appliances sorted out. And as you can see based on my plans, we have expensive taste in appliances (which is totally ironic since we do not cook)... sort of, the 36 inch range pictured is actually from Ikea. Check it out if you want a high end look, with a really great price tag.
But I was also inspired by Layla and Kevin over at the Lettered Cottage who found a great deal on their new fridge and dishwasher thanks to scouring craigslist! To be honest, used appliances didn't even occur to me. I just assumed that we would save for a few years and shell out the equivilent of a new car on the fridge of our dreams.
And then the roof fell out on us... literally.
So Sean got busy and did some hunting online. It turns out that when somebody needs to get rid of a 48 inch, built in SubZero fridge there aren't a lot of takers because, well, unless you already have yourself a 48 inch built in fridge you probably don't have the cabinet capacity for one. I'll admit, it's not a situation that comes up often but Sean just so happened to find a really great fridge and range in another city about 5 hours away.




He has family there so they were really awesome to help him load them up, but for under $3000 we scored both a 48 inch stainless steel SubZero fridge as well as a 36 inch Thermador professional range (both pretty much new). We've actually had them for about a month now (you might have seen them peeking out in pictures of the garage) and are now finalizing our layout and plans to get some things started hopefully before the holidays.
I have seen her sets mentioned on numerous blogs, and I am definitely a fan of Nancy Myers' kitchens. But the movie It's Complicated in particular really had me scratching my head.

Here I wanted all white and grey, but after seeing the lovely warmth of the beiges mixed in I may just have to go back to the drawing board as far as colors as concerned.


Here's a similar fridge hanging out in the background.

Our biggest challenge will be installing a new picture window, similar to this one on a wall that formerly housed cabinets. It will be nice to look out in the yard while I wash.
So there ya have it, while it has been SLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOWWWWW in the making, at least we can finally focus our energy in getting started!
(although I doubt it will be so easy and painless as I hope)

23 comments:

Caroline @ The Feminist Housewife said...

That's awesome that you were able to score such a deal!! We are also getting our appliances via craigslist...so awesome! I don't know what we would do without it!

Rachel Noelle Pallas said...

Wow you got a great deal on those appliances!! Cant wait to see your kitchen reveal!! Hugs,Rachel ;)

Valerie@chateaualamode.typepad.com said...

So excited to see what you end up with...looks like it will be beautiful!

Jen of MadeByGirl said...

WOW...NICE! I had something similar happen to us, I found a Thermador stove on CL for $500 and when i went to pick it up, the woman also had a sub zero fridge she said she would sell for $1000, but needed to still use it until her new appliances arrived (she was SUPER UPGRADING), can you believe that? Anyhow, I called her for 2 months almost every other day making sure she didnt sell the sub zero..then one day she called me out of blue and said, "if you come pick it up within the next couple days you can have it for free".....OMG! So of course i gathered a few men to hep me and we picked it up. Its been in my garage for 1 yr now and s has the stove. This current home didnt accommodate it but i knew one day we would be able to use one or the other. Well we should be moving thsi month and the fridge will fit in the new kitchen, as for the stove, not so much.....but we may still keep it. So, you too lucked out.... :))))
Your so right about not many takers when there are appliances like these listed on CL....very true!!! We have similar taste in kitchens too i see!

www.madebygirl.com
madebygirl.blogspot.com

liz @ bon temps beignet said...

Holly I feel your pain. We've been in our house for 2 years and are barely finished with our kitchen.

Here are our pics in parts 1, 2, & 3:

http://bontempsbeignet.blogspot.com/2010/08/kitchen-remodel-part-1.html

http://bontempsbeignet.blogspot.com/2010/08/kitchen-remodel-part-2.html

http://bontempsbeignet.blogspot.com/2010/08/kitchen-remodel-part-3.html

Sixty-Fifth Avenue said...

I love a great deal and this is a fabulous one! Our fridge is dented on the back so we got it for a reasonable price, its my favorite appliance. I too love the kitchen from the movie, I love the whole house. Looking forward to seeing it in progress.

Londen

Katherine @ Grass Stains said...

It's gonna be GORGEOUS, no matter what you decide! That's what happens with people who have great taste, I've noticed. ;)

The White City Project said...

What a deal! I hadn't thought of looking at used, what a great way to save some major cash!

Sarah said...

I can't wait to see it finished. Don't you just love the house from 'Its Complicated'? I watched that movie over and over!

Sarah @ Cozy.Cottage.Cute. said...

Good luck with the reno! We might be tackling our kitchen in the spring (and I think we have sorta similar tastes) so I look forward to seeing how yours goes and what you decide on...... :)

Stephanie said...

I am helping my daughter and her husband with their first home. It was a short sale and in desperate need of a remodel/update. I have had so much good luck with CL..it it has been a life saver. Didn't buy the appliances on there, but would have if my son-n-law didn't have an "in" at a high end appliance store that got a discount on. Can't wait to see your progress.

Unknown said...

I love your original inspiration....white kitchens to me are absolutely timeless! Look forward to finished kitchen!

Lovely Little Nest said...

Holy cow, that is an amazing deal! Congrats on the great find!
Can't wait to see it all come together :)

Julie said...

Score!

I LOVE Craigslist for random, expensive stuff like that.

Bethany Christensen said...

Way to go on the appliances! When I built my home five years ago I thought I would save a bundle by buying used too. So I bought a $300 standard range and put it in the 36" opening for my commercial range (which was going to be $5000). Then I spent a year scouring craigslist for a used model. I even figured out how to search the entire country on craigslist. I planned to travel to where ever I found one and have it shipped home. Well, it was not meant to be because I NEVER EVER found one, in the entire year of searching. I am sure the booming real estate market had something to do with it. Anyway...I had to fork over the money. But I am so happy for you. I just thought you would like to know you got a GREAT DEAL! Bethany

Chris said...

I love the marble countertops but I have heard they are really soft and stain easily. Are you using real marble or something else? Just curious because it's something I want but my mom's been trying to talk me out of it.

Faloolabug said...

Hey Holly!
Love how the kitchen is coming together! I think you need to stick with more whites and grays, as it is more your style for the long haul! (Remember your experiment with brown in the Master...) But adding creams and beiges with your fabrics and accesories (like in the second kitchen photo, on the counterstools) would give added warmth. As would your great potted succulents (or some herbs)!
Good Luck!
Darby

PearlsAndGreenTea said...

Hi! New reader here. I love everything about the first kitchen you thought of. Either way, I'm sure it'll be beautiful!! Hope you post pics!

Unknown said...

I CANNOT believe she gave it to you Jen!! I had no idea you were moving either, I am STOKED to see your new place and what you do with it~

Ginger@cottageonrosewood said...

Incredible score. We spent that much on just our Jenn Air fridge. Awesome job! I never thought of that! I can't wait to see what the final result is. I love your original plan, but I have to agree, I loved the whole house in It's Complicated, but that kitchen just made ya want to hang out for hours!

Unknown said...

Yay for you--take your time--almost 1 year for us and it still isn't done. And although I love my GE stove, I COULD'VE gotten a Thermadore convection oven off of Craigslist but chickened out at the last minute..now I wish I had just gone for it. Love your inspiration photos...keep us posted on progress!

Jordin- I Love That! said...

Wow it will be beautiful!! Can't wait to see it. You have great taste! I love looking at your blog!

LollyChops said...

What a score and a half!!!! I love your new stuff to pieces (and I like the warmer color scheme too).

 
Blogging tips