Saturday, October 23, 2010

Dining room shopping list

It is starting to get pretty cold during the night here! Enough for me to have concerns about leaving my potted plants out. Smaller annuals are obviously done for the season, but I am just not ready to let go of my boxwoods so I put some furniture pads on the bottom of the iron urns and dragged them in. Although I wish the padding wasn't so noticable.

Photobucket

I also added some moss to soften it up.
Photobucket

While a few things in here still change regularly, like the table and sideboard, I am starting to settle the rest of the details instead of changing the overall look as my furniture rotates.


We have come a long way from the day we moved in!
Photobucket

But I feel like there is still some way to go! Some final additions that I am working on:

1. hang the mirror 2 feet off the ground (have to wait until the kitchen is done because I don't want it up with all that banging going on!).
Photobucket

2. Window treatments. I am planning on doing a "faux" window on the left side. Putting up the drapes the same as the right side for a balanced look. I will never understand the weird window placement in here...


3. A larger rug. I LOVE the rug in here now, but it will be moving to the family room as I need something larger in here as well as something in there.

Photobucket
I am heading to Ikea today for some odds and ends for Wren's room (sheets, a rug, new duvet) and will definitely poke around the window treatments and rugs to see if we can figure something out for in here. You just cannot beat their prices!


What are you working on this weekend?

20 comments:

The White City Project said...

I love the idea of a faux window. Can't wait to see it.

We are having our carpet replaced next week, so moving everything out of the 2nd floor is on the agenda this weekend.

Unknown said...

The urns and boxwoods are lovely. I would consider some inside but can't keep them low with our new puppy.
I bought two last Fall and put them in the pots on either side of our front door. They looked so pretty all winter (covered porch) and kept their green. The cold and piles of snow didn't bother them at all. They didn't do so well when I planted them in late spring. I'm looking to pick up two more in the next few weeks.

Lisa @ Fern Creek Cottage said...

Your dining room looks gorgeous! I look forward to seeing the changes you make (also look forward to seeing Wren's room!). Maybe you could use a sharpie on the sliders under your pots so they blend in better? Hope you are having a JOY filled week-end!!

Donna said...

What a great idea to bring a boxwood inside. I love that look.

Laurie said...

What a difference from when you first moved in! I love the white color scheme and the boxwoods look great in there... I too am working on my dining room. I found linen curtains at Ikea and am adding a band to the bottom. Will post about it soon...

Marsha said...

I saw the pictures of your dining table when you first posted and fell in love with it. I couldn't believe my luck when I found the same table on Kijiji. I picked it up today and can't wait to try my hand at refinishing it. Thanks for the inspiration!

Carol@6WilsonBlog.com said...

What a wonderful transformation. I'm looking forward to the window treatment.

Kayla Lamoreaux said...

I am really curious to know about your wood floor - did you paint what was already there or install new? Beautiful redo!

Allison said...

You have really transformed your dining room. It is wonderful! I am in love with that gorgeous huge white mirror you have. It'll be fun to see what you found for Wren's room. Isn't Ikea great! We're putting our house back together this weekend after a many months remodel of our ktichen and dining room. It's fun to get things organized again!

Unknown said...

Holly,
If your thinking of adding window treatments to the left hand side, what about adding a mirror the same length and width as your window, so it bounces light across the room & also reflects images (thus making it sort of look like a window WITH treatments aswell).

Just a thought - Ive not actually tried and tested this out to see if it would look right.

Amy said...

I had to do a double-take because at first glance the mirror looks like a huge window! So much light reflected - and such a great idea for that space.

I found dark brown felt floor protectors at my local Kmart. They really blend into my dark brown floor - i don't know if you have the same products in Canada, but it may be worth a look!

Tami said...

Beautiful!!

Honey said...

Lovely! I especially love the dark floors... =)

Stephanie said...

How funny, I remember when you got that mirror, it looks fabulous in that room. I especially like how you took the picture with your son playing in the picture, it really keeps it real. The room looks so much bigger than when you first got the place. I LOVE Ikea, if you didn't find something I would be surprised, you can't beat their prices.

Kristine at The Painted Hive said...

I lurve the neutral palette in your dining room. To cushion your plant urns (without the noticiable "dots") why not use a cheap mouse mat or piece of rubber foam cut slightly (like 1 mm)larger than the base itself then coloured to match?
Kristine
xxx

Cindy said...

maybe you can try to paint the edges of the pads on the urn black or espresso so they will be unnoticeable. it won't bug you near as much.

cindy

Unknown said...

I'd love to have you over at my giveaway! It ends tonight!!

Katie said...

I like the mirror just leaned up against the wall...but maybe I'm weird :)

Leslie G said...

Love the look of the boxwoods inside! But I'm pretty positive they would be fine outside all winter. We have about 9 boxwoods, and they've survived very cold winter/snow for 5 years. (They don't lose their leaves, either.)

Ania's Clouds said...

Hi Holly,
Loews (haven't checked with Home Depot) sells black felt pads for under chairs etc. They come also in circular shapes. Anything from 3" to tiny dots. We also have very dark hardwood floors and these blend much better with the underside of chair legs or would blend almost seamlessly with the plant urns.

ps. I really enjoy your blog! The transformations you've done are so amazing.

 
Blogging tips