Friday, October 29, 2010

I want Candy!

Happy Friday! Even though we are only days away from the spookiest night of the year, my thoughts have turned towards the fun side of the evening: the candy! I have one of the meanest sweet tooths you've ever come across and constantly have something chocolatey or yummy out on the counter. But let's be honest, baked goods tend to last better (and taste better!) in tupperware or the fridge. So I got to thinking about how I could incorporate my love of candy into decor.
Photobucket
Enter cheap jelly and cake pans. I always see these at thrift stores, usually less than $1. Most of them are old, slightly dented and probably not all that great for actually baking with anymore but I simply LOVE their shapes.
Photobucket
I started by spray painting mine with rust-oleum in white then simply painted them in various shade of pink and red.
Photobucket
Did I do a perfect job? Hardly. I didn't have hours on end to sit and play with it, but with a little imagination and a steady hand you could really get creative.
Photobucket The best part is that all of them have a little hole or even a hook to hang them on the wall. I could imagine a grouping of them on a blank wall, all the same color, or even just varing solid colors.
Photobucket
I am also thinking that maybe when Wren is at a more crafting appropriate age they would be fun to do for a birthday party. Giving each child a primed mold and letting them decorate it with glitter, paint and any other delights they can imagine.
Photobucket
What about that dresser they're on you ask? (well, I am sure most of you didn't ask but maybe someone did!). It was a find I made while out hunting down the molds. Initially quite hideous, it actually turned out to be a pretty amazing antique dresser that was totally overwhelmed by hideous knobs.
Photobucket
A little white paint and I was already amazed at the transformation.
Photobucket
In honor of our Sweet Shoppe I went with Anthropologie's color-wheel knobs (keep your eyes peeled next week to see where else we used them).
Photobucket
So next time I have a craving to buy my very own birthday cake on a day not even close to my birthday I will just look at these cakes. I know my thighs will thank me!
Photobucket

20 comments:

Amber's Notebook said...

so cute Holly!

Pudel-design said...

Love these knobs an the drawer;)

Chrissie said...

Love the dresser. Crazy about he knobs. What a creative plan for the cake pans, cute!

PamH said...

Ingenious idea with the cake pans! I don't know how you come up with this stuff!!!!

Shades of pale said...

Love that pic! Happy Halloween Holly

Shannon Dew said...

how cute are you!? what a great idea!!!

Unknown said...

Holly-the dresser is stunning! Love the keyholes, curves, and absolutely the knobs. And such a cute idea for those little homely tins. Who would've thought? YOU with your white spray can, of course. :)

Midwest Cottage and Finds said...

i LOVE it!! i am in a dresser mode and have to paint every one in my house white!! you need to check out the one i found on the side of the road last week....
http://midwestcottageandfinds.blogspot.com/2010/10/some-things-are-meant-to-befound-on.html
it is so cool!
chris

Allison said...

What a clever use of the molds, Holly! I love the dresser and those knobs are fun! You really transformed that dresser. I hope Wren has a Happy Halloween.

Anji Johnston said...

So imaginative! You rock!

Lovely Little Nest said...

Such a cute idea!

QUESTION: Where oh where did you find that cake plate? I've been looking for one with ruffled edges EVERYWHERE with no such luck!

MrsKBJ said...

Very cute Holly!!

Restyled Vintage said...

What a fantastic idea, the 'cakes' are super cute! And I love the dresser too, those knobs you chose for it really make it complete :)
xx Karen

Valerie@chateaualamode.typepad.com said...

You continue to amaze me with your creativity. What a fun way to decorate jello molds! Way too cute! Love your outfits too.

bethchien said...

happy halloween!

Anonymous said...

love love your blog...you are breath of fresh air :))

Gina said...

I've been spying those knobs! Love love love! I'm convinced you can turn anything into something beautiful :)

Pinecone said...

I love the colors. I never would have thought of doing that with cake pans.

Ashlyn

coloradocyndi said...

OK, I could spend all day browsing your website and blog...but I must get back to real life! Just wanted to say hi 'cause I just subscribed! I'll be back!!

Kirsten @ Triple Max Tons said...

I have a similar vintage French print in my home too....love it! The knobs are really cool and go perfectly.

http://triplemaxtons.blogspot.com/

 
Blogging tips