Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Bleached Blue Dresser

This particular manufacturer must have been pretty popular around here back in the day, because these french provincial dressers surface every week or two and I always paint them white...
Photobucket
Until this one.
I had been painting white furniture all the little long day, when my last piece on the docket suddenly told me it needed to be blue. It beckoned to be blue. It insisted. So after applying 2 coats of white paint I listened and went for my can of robin's egg blue.
About 20 minutes later my heart began racing as I took a good hard look at what I had done. It felt wrong. Completely and utterly wrong. So I patiently let it dry. Slept on it, and took another look in the morning. Nope, still wrong! Instead of admitting defeat I broke out my power sander and went to work. I wore that blue paint down to it's last layers, hoping a mermaid/blue lagoon look just might work. With the white coming through it started to feel good. But the blue and white were still feeling a little crazy... Sean and my Sister used the words "tie dye" to describe the finish. A bad 70's acid trip was far from my intended outcome.
On the brink of defeat I pulled out the last trick up my sleeve, hoping to prove my instinct of blue wasn't a failure. So I took my trusted and beloved white paint, watered it down like crazy and sprayed the whole dresser again. I walked away knowing that if it couldn't be saved, I had done my best.
When I came back about 2 hours later I was stunned. I was in love. I was completely and fully pleased with the "bleached" blue finish that resulted. It is subtle, but still blue. It is interesting and unexpected. And I knew immediately that it needed some mercury glass knobs. Mottled and splotchy just like the paint, they complimented it well.

Photobucket
To be honest, it was my first experience with painting furniture that I actually doubted my instincts for just a fraction of a moment.
Photobucket
But those who know me best know that I don't back down from a challenge, and I rarely concede defeat (not always the best trait... but with furniture it seems to be a blessing!)
Photobucket
You were a worthy opponent little blue dresser.
Photobucket
You might have won the battle
Photobucket
But I am glad I won the war!

22 comments:

Rachel Noelle Pallas said...

~*~*Just lovely in blue Holly!! It turned out beautiful..I wish I could paint as good as you do!~*Hugs,Rachel ;)~*~*

Sarah said...

It turned out great. I love the blue.

Caylee said...

Beautiful dresser. I just painted a blue dresser for my livingroom and I used the exact same mercury glass knobs from Anthro. Love the look.

Amber's Notebook said...

omg it's amazing!! just fabulous! Great job holly!

katskraps4kids said...

Divine. that is all I can say. It really is divine. LOVE it! your instincts were right on Chickie.

Where are you that you come across these so frequently? Surely not in Upstate SC. Not that I'm looking really but when I have been in places I haven't seen them. And if you don't mind me asking- how much do they seem to go for in general?

Urban Farmgirl said...

Gorgeous, Holly! The blue is perfect! And I agree, it is amazing how many of that same exact dresser I end up painting over and over again. Lately I have been finding a lot of matching nightstands and vanities, too. around here they are sooo popular done in pale, pale pink.

Happy Wednesday!

~mary~

Chrissie said...

Simply beautiful! I am so glad you fought and won~

www.MaisonStGermain.com said...

Congratulations on your win:) I love it. I have never seen mercury knobs before but they are beautiful on that piece. Now everything else you do will be cake;)
~Debra
Capers of the vintage vixens

Lolo @ The Adventures of Stig and Lolo said...

What a calming color.....you really have the gift :) And those mercury knobs definitely make it.... Anthro??

Urbanstems said...

It is beautiful. Fair play on sticking it out. What a positive approach to being stubborn - love it! Sinead

quiltaholic said...

Love it! My daughter has that same dresser in her room (along with the matching desk and chest of drawers). I painted one of them white this summer, just to see how we liked it, and it looks so much better than the ivory/gold obnoxiousness that it once was. The other two are out on the patio as we speak, sanded and ready for their new coats! Her walls will be periwinkle, which will set the white off nicely.

Paint Me White said...

Oh Holly if only I could find some nice dressers like these. You have the best stuff in Canada. Love this piece it turned out beautiful. Love those knobs Sandy x

Sharon said...

You crack me up. I love the blue. Sometimes, I think my best results come from having to "fix" an idea gone wrong. Great job!

DustyLu said...

Hi Holly, I have been a fan of you blog forever! You are so talented! I love you Halloween decor. Thank you for the inspiration! Have a wodnerful day! ~lulu

Allison said...

I love it! The mercury glass knobs are perfect for it. It's funny - I picked up that exact dresser last week at our thrift shop. Your dresser looks really pretty, Holly!

Ms. Bake-it said...

Your persistence paid off Holly!
It turned out fabulous! I like the white washed blue.

~ Tracy

Shabby Vintage Threads said...

It looks great!

I love those mercury glass knobs - where did you find them?

-Christie

The Midwest Cottage said...

It looks great. I just did a whole set for a lady just like this. I just love that furniture. It is easy to find I guess most people don't want to re-do it? Love it! Thanks for sharing.

Debbie said...

Oh my goodness! I just sprayed the exact same dresser black satin this morning. Love the blue...but my dresser definately was shouting to paint it black.

love all of your work!

Kirsten said...

Its beautiful!!! I am loving your blog Holly!! xxoo

simplygrove.com

###### said...

I see that you are still at it strong Holly...keep up the great work.

Little Lovables said...

yes, I have that same exact set... it's been in our family before I was born!

 
Blogging tips