Thursday, January 23, 2014

I don't believe in Resolutions, BUT...

I have never set New Years resolutions. Not once in my life. I just don't believe in trying to change things or expect myself to stick with it, so I just keep on keepin' on. And this year is no different.

But a couple weeks before Christmas Sean and I had a fairly deep conversation. I can't even remember how it all started, or why but it somehow evolved into us telling the other person what single thing we would change about them if we could ( these can be dangerous waters guys! tread carefully!).
 photo IMG_9242_zpsfe9b10fc.jpg

I told Sean I wish he would try not to sleep in so much on the weekends. Trust me, I know I live a charmed life when that is my one complaint. But we love hanging with him since he works so much during the week, so we want any extra time we can get!

Sean's wish was that I try learning how to be a better cook. It is a totally valid wish, but if you know me, you know it is kind of a lost cause. We don't eat out all that much, but I have learned to HEAVILY rely on a local dinner service that pre-portions all the ingredients for a meal and all I have to do is follow the simple instructions and cook it. I love this because I feel that every time I attempt a recipe I need $50 in ingredients I didn't have laying around, and what doesn't get used will almost always go to waste.

But since we each picked one thing I promised to try my darnedest to whip up something creative a few nights a week (Rome wasn't built in a day...).

I have a pretty decent cookbook collection from Williams Sonoma (which I now see is entirely online here)
so I have been picking a couple meals every week to attempt.


{ probably the first time this sink has given spinach a bath }
 photo IMG_9243_zps9cff2be2.jpg 

The reviews from both my test subjects have been good, or they must be great actors with iron clad stomachs, and I think I may have turned a corner in my hatred of cooking. Something about seeing them enjoy dinner time so much makes me almost enjoy it. Almost.

lunch time is a totally different story though...
 photo IMG_9252_zpseea9b797.jpg

Do you have anything you wish you could change about yourself? Or more importantly, your partner LOL?

7 comments:

Shannon said...

Oh boy that topic is dangerous territory! I'm not one for resolutions either, but I decided this year I wanted to focus more on good home cooked family dinners at the table. So far 3 weeks in and we are doing great. Best of luck on your cooking adventures! ps. long time reader, finally got the courage to comment, idk why I thought it would be so scary!

maria said...

Oh my goodness!! It takes everything I have to not run upstairs and wake my husband on the weekends. My son and I just want to hang out with him! If he had to say one thing about me... be more organized. I'm workin' on it! :)

Freckles Chick said...

I don't really set resolutions either. That way I don't fail...and I gotta tell you--IT FEELS GREAT!

In all seriousness, I love your convo (green smoothie!!!). We're pretty good about giving each other space to "not be parents" every once in a while but I always feel a little strained during snowboard season when R is gone so much on the weekend. So now that you mention it, I wish he could take off a day during the week every once in a while so we could chill as a family. I also wish he was a better listener. Oh boy, opening a can of worms....

Hey, thanks for this. You're cheaper than therapy. ;-)

Chandra said...

My husband and I talk honestly and openly about things like that. Do you have any of Rachael Ray's cookbooks? She has easy yet healthy and tasty meals. Cooking is art, and as creative as you are you will be great at it :)

Krystal Wight Armstrong said...

Hey! It's been fun waking up to a new 'In the Fun Lane' blog post in my inbox almost every morning recently. Just wanted to say thanks for the frequent fun & color when I've been waking up these days :)

Also, without trying to pry into your personal lives I'm just super intrigued and curious about that conversation, and how that topic came up for you two! (I mean we all have one or two things we might think about for our significant others, but you're so right about treading carefully!) I'm just always curious and think people are fascinating to learn from & about; and 'fairly deep conversations' are always something refreshing that I think are exciting when they happen with my husband!

PS- I never come up with real, decided resolutions either. I maybe think about it, but never pin anything down to work super hard at. So I'm sympathetic; you're not alone.

Oh, and what were you making with your pretty spinach? I have a bunch left from a failed cooking experiment, and don't know what to do with it.

Libby's Lifestyle said...

I love the simplicity of what one thing would you each change about the other. I'd like to give it a try, I think.

This year I decided to put my resolutions out there so that come December I can look back and see how I've done. If you have time you might enjoy a read ...

http://llibbyslifestyle.blogspot.com.au/2014/01/2014-year-begins.html

Amanda said...

At least he'll have a deep conversation with you. :| Any guesses as to what I'd change? ;)

I am right there with you on the cooking issue. I never loved it. Or even liked it. And I think it was because I always assumed I didn't know what I was doing. I've learned recently that I actually enjoy cooking. Ok maybe not the actual cooking as much as the eating what I've cooked part. And that not as much as hearing others tell me how yummy something I've cooked is. But anyway, what's worked for me has been to find recipes on Pinterest that look simple. And by simple I mean not a trillion ingredients that I just need a dash of and will then waste away in the pantry. Then get busy making simple meals that sound extra yummy I.e. lots of cheese and anything fried and I bet you'll start to surprise yourself. I now often think, "ooh I can't wait to try to make that."

 
Blogging tips