Monday, November 18, 2013

CottageK Unveil: The Office

Thank you so much for your patience while I took a little sabbatical last week. And by sabbatical, I mean a chance to catch up on the disaster that has become my own home, as well as all the the odds and ends over at CottageK.

I am SOOOO excited to share the finished house! The only difference from previous reveals is that instead of doing it in one big, long, epic post (that seems daunting to write, let alone read) I am going to share a room or two every day this week. This gives me a chance to cover all the sources as well for anyone interested.

Today we are going to talk about the office, which may be my favorite room in the whole house. It is just so bright and happy, yet still light and airy.

 photo blogIMG_8559_zps6630c454.jpg

You probably remember the before. It was filled with a giant old cabinet which had been there so long that the floors underneath had a totally different finish (forcing me to spend a few extra days refinishing them) and an abundance of 70's curtains.
 photo IMG_8073_zps57ae7ff5.jpg

What did we do as far as renos in here?
I installed some simple millwork to the ceiling for extra detail and to add some dimension. I love the continuation of the squares and rectangles from the windows in the light fixture ($79, HomeDepot) and the new ceiling trim. 
New Light/outlets.
And as I mentioned, I refinished the floors, and then everything else was just paint (LOTS and LOTS of paint!).
The walls in the entire house are painted in a soft cream called Vermont Cream by Behr, the black is all Franchesca by Martha Stewart, and the white trim and ceilings are all untinted white paint. 

black-windows photo blogIMG_8560_zps42d5a4c4.jpg 

A sleek desk from Ikea and a vintage chair from a local thrift store make a sweet little work station.
(flamingo tray is also from Ikea this past summer)
 photo blogIMG_8564_zps10dabda5.jpg 

The black and white rug was in my cart at Ikea the second I saw it, even before I saw the price tag, knowing it was the perfect fun touch for my otherwise square-filled room. But then I saw the price ($29.99) and I loved it even more!
 photo blogIMG_8565_zps3be3663a.jpg 

I picked up the little wicker stool at a thrift store for $5 and everything else you see here was rounded up at our own house.
wicker-stool photo blogIMG_8561_zpsdb90672b.jpg 

Lamp is from Target, and I know exactly where it will go when it comes home... I have been wanting one of these for ages.

The ottoman and pillows were all rounded up from our own house as well, but in the event they are still available, the black pillow was from Urban Outfitters, the white one from Ralph Lauren, and the ottoman is the Ektorp from Ikea (the pink covers were on sale for $5 a few years ago, so I'm not sure they still come in that color).
desk-lamp photo blogIMG_8562_zpsc3a29b7c.jpg

I can already tell you that while this is the smallest house I've done, it is my absolute favorite by a mile.

And I can't wait to show you the living room tomorrow!!

11 comments:

Audra said...

I LOVE the ceiling detail! What a great idea!

carli said...

Love it Holly! What an adorable home office! And I really like the window details painted black. Great contrast :)

Sixty-Fifth Avenue said...

so pretty! love the black windows

Kelli said...

girl this is fabulous - i am in love :) cannot wait to see the rest of the place

Razmataz said...

LOVE this house. The kitchen peeks I have seen are fabulous and I am definitely going to steal some of your ideas for future projects. You are very talented.

Lindsey said...

I saw that lamp at Target last week and instantly knew I needed it!! Its beautiful isnt it?!

Whitney said...

So gorgeous! I especially love the combination of black window frames, cream walls, and white trim. I'm curious--I know you mentioned your disappointment that the middle window frame was metal, but I've seen lots of metal frames painted if appropriately primed. Do you feel like this wouldn't have held up long-term or that it would have been more trouble than it was worth?

Stacey said...

Ok I wanted to live here before, now I really wish I could move in!!

xoxo
Stacey
Five Minute Style 

Unknown said...

Looks amazing, the windows are stunning! Can't wait to see the rest of the house

Unknown said...

It's amazing. Seriously…this reno speaks so much to me. I can't wait to see the remaining spaces so that I can be inspired…ahem-shameless idea stealing…for my own bungalow. As always, well done!! Marissa

Freckles Chick said...

You've got the steez for styling!! And renovating. And pretty much life in general. #teachme

 
Blogging tips