Thursday, November 21, 2013

CottageK: The Kitchen Reveal

 photo blog_zps26483afb.jpg 

It's time to talk kitchen! This is where we spent a good chunk of our time and budget, and almost all our energy.

You probably remember how it looked before:
 photo IMG_8084_zps3a00627e.jpg 
Linoleum floors, dated colors and minimal lighting. But the overall layout was fine and the cabinets were solid wood and replaced in the last 15 years. We could have ripped them out and gone with new Ikea cabinets but the time to demo it all and then build and install the new ones would have really stressed our deadline out, and me along with it. So we decided to turn lemons into lemonade.
 photo IMG_8076_zps14b92851.jpg 

As you can see, we ripped out the upper cabinets to let more light in. I understand this was questionable to some of you,  but there was really no way to update the original uppers with their orange glass inserts and odd cubbies up top. As for open shelving, in talking with my friends and realtor I think the buyer who would love this house ( most likely a hip, urban buyer since this is near downtown) will most likely have lots of cool things to display and be okay with it. Plus we added the new island (from Target, $249) for extra storage. I totally appreciate that the shelving isn't for everyone, and that's ok.

New honeycomb tile floors were one of the biggest improvements in here! ($5/foot special ordered from Tile Town here in Edmonton).
 photo blogIMG_8606_zpsd37af8a5.jpg 

The three pivoting sconces from Restoration hardware add great task lighting in the evening, and lots of charm the rest of the time.

As I mentioned on Instagram, the shelves were a Holly creation. I stained and sawed down a couple cedar planks for a rough edge (I didn't want that slightly rounded edge you get on lumber). And the brackets all came from Lowe's for under $2 each.
 photo blogIMG_8642_zps1567ddb1.jpg 

Looking into the dining/living area, there is still a good sized walk way with our new island in place.
 photo blogIMG_8628_zps841e77e8.jpg 

I sprayed all the cabinets in Martha Stewart's Bedford Grey, a nice, warm grey for added depth to an otherwise white kitchen. It's definitely a grey I will be using again!

I want to thank Derrick and the wonderful people at D. Lawless Hardware for all the hardware at CottageK. I knew exactly what I was looking for and they made these stainless steel bar pulls happen. Thanks again guys!!
 photo blogIMG_8625_zpsc02a406e.jpg 

The new island is a nice spot for entertaining, and helps create a little separation between the kitchen and dining room. The pillow on my old chair, as well as the bar stools, island and YUM letters are all Target finds. Seriously, what did we do before Target???
 photo blogIMG_8655_zpsbb1e86d1.jpg 

Derrick and the D.Lawless folks also helped me out with my hook wall! Sean told me this is an unfortunate photo that looks like the hooks are about 2 inches apart... but in reality they are about 8 inches apart and the wall isn't nearly so short. But as anyone in an old home will tell you, there isn't much storage or closet space, so I thought the least I could do was add a good number of hooks for hanging coats and scarves at the back door.
 photo blogIMG_8627_zps9ce2efb4.jpg 

The planked wall is insanely cool, and I think it is the perfect contrast to our modern touches. I've had a couple people ask for a tutorial, but I have to give full credit to Sean for this creation so maybe he will walk us through it all. But if you are at all handy all you need are 6 inch wide MDF planks, screw them into the studs, then fill all the screw holes and paint. To clean up all the edges just use smaller trim along the corners and edges.

The mugs are Ikea as-is finds, and everything else came from my own house!
 photo blogIMG_8649_zps144ea4c2.jpg 

The counters are honed marble, keeping it bright and open. The sink and faucet are both Ikea (the sink is the Domsjo, but I can't remember the name of the faucet).

A small detail, but isn't the food guide tea towel too cute (check it out here)? The lovely team at Uncommon Goods were kind enough to send over a few goodies to help make CottageK feel more like a home and this was one of them. Many thanks guys!
 photo blogIMG_8652_zpsf892f083.jpg 

The new ceiling light is a huge improvement over the fluorescent lighting that was in here before.  
 photo blogIMG_8643_zps478ab6ee.jpg

Some unbelievable things are coming up in this little cottage (and my own house) in the next couple weeks, as we get set to welcome the talented team from Style at Home. I have been excitedly preparing for them at home, but I got word yesterday that we will be spending a day shooting CottageK as well! As I learn more about when you can expect to read all about it I will be sure to let you know! 

Thanks again for all your patience and support, I can't tell you how fun and exciting it has been to share it all with you.

(edited to add: Many of you have commented about there not being a fridge. C'mon guys, do you really think I'd eliminate a fridge? LOL. I'm a little out there, but not that far gone! It just hadn't been delivered yet when I took these photos (and is still backordered until this weekend). 

17 comments:

Diamonds & Burlap said...

You did a fabulous job!! I love it! I think, ironically, my favorite part is the open shelving. I know it's not for everyone, too, but I don't think it would turn a buyer away. Great job!!

->Ashley
diamondsandburlap.blogspot.com

Rita said...

Beautiful work, Holly! I love the styling on the open shelves. It is much like my own styling in my dining room.

Congrats on your home and cottage features. I can't wait to see them.

Jen said...

This looks very nice. Question though, is there a fridge and dishwasher? I didn't see either.

Korrie@RedHenHome said...

Love the new look! I don't think I could do open shelves, but I love the look of them. It's a great combo with the planked wall and the great light fixtures.

Jessica said...

Wow, this looks awesome!! I love that plank wall! The styling is great and I just love the modern with more rustic touches (the wood shelving, plank wall, etc.) I may have to paint our cabinets that MS grey, it's fab! Good job!

My House, My Garden said...

Awesome job!! Anyone who is interested in the home but not the open shelving could add upper cabinets for a very small investment also. I LOVE THE SHELVES myself. Congrats! Vikki

awal.ny said...

Great job. If for resale though I am kind of surprised about lack of storage, and where is the fridge and dishwasher?

Unknown said...

As usual, it looks stunning! Can you link the light from Home Depot? Please and thank you :)

Tacocat said...

Great job! I even came across it on MLS and agree that your photos are so much better than what you see out there! I guess my only concern would be no hood/vents and the splatters on the open shelves above the stove.

The new house is a huuuge improvement from before. Wish you could redo some of the homes in my 'hood.

{ L } said...

Reminds me of the kitchen of a Florida vacation home we stayed in... perfect for a weekend home, or even full time for a small family who likes to live a minimalist lifestyle. I love love love the look, but I'm not sure this layout would meet City code where I live.

Unknown said...

The kitchen looks great, bright and airy.

Freckles Chick said...

AHMAZING. I'd snap this house up in a heartbeat.

As someone who cooks often AND has open shelving above her stove (3+ yrs now), I can attest to the fact that it's pretty convenient & easy to keep clean. Splatters? Put a lid on the pot/pan. Bacon? Bake it in the oven. Dust? Swiffer/damp cloth every couple weeks. No big deal.

:)

SCPitzer said...

So sweet, modern, cozy, vintage... how do you get all of that in one cottage? definitely my favorite of your flips! hope i can find a house half this cute someday!

Anonymous said...

Lovely! My favorite part are the lights above the open shelving.

Anonymous said...

It's so lovely! I have always been a fun of opening up those small kitchens! The is shelving is fantastic!

AllyH said...

Congrats Holly! Amazing and I love the open shelving. Silly question, how do you hang your plates? I have some and me down china and would love to display it.

Mrs. Limestone said...

Love the update - so fresh and clean.

 
Blogging tips