Tuesday, November 19, 2013

CottageK: Living and Dining Room

Today I am sooo excited to give you a tour of the little living/dining room at CottageK!! It is an open space, but the house is on the smaller side so it was really important to keep it feeling airy (which means not over filling it with furniture, one of my biggest decorating sins).

There really wasn't a lot of extensive renovations to tackle in this room, which made it one of the last rooms we completed. 
 photo blogIMG_8571_zps8310d94e.jpg

The small list of renos included:
New baseboards
Paint (Vermont Cream on the walls again, Francesca by Martha Stewart on the windows)
patching and filling about a thousand old nail holes...
and a new light over the dining table and a sconce on the wall by the hallway.

Though it was the easiest room to update, this room was where I spent 80% of my staging dollars. I think small homes can be a challenge for buyers to visualize their things in so this may help them feel like it can be home-y still, and definitely hip!

 photo blogIMG_8570_zps3118d7ce.jpg

I'll share all the befores before the afters to remind myself that while it wasn't an extensive reno, it was definitely a dramatic one!
 photo IMG_8079_zpsd3e3dcd9.jpg

I kept the original door (OBVIOUSLY!! who could replace that beauty) and hardware. I would hate to stripe such a beautiful old house of it's charm just to say it has 'all new everything!'.
 photo blogIMG_8610_zps8577b5ae.jpg

The mirror is one of a stash I picked up at auction a few years ago. The rocker is borrowed from our house, and while I have enjoyed the little table from Target's new Roots Line in our own house for a month or two, I bought it knowing I wanted a handful of bright colors in this room. But I'm sure it will come right back home to my open arms soon.
 photo blogIMG_8583_zpsb5ec7921.jpg

The old curtains and exterior awnings really kept out the sunshine...
 photo IMG_8078_zps12d6a70b.jpg

But not anymore! The School House electric light looks as great as I hoped it would (if you need to swag like this be sure to order an extra long cord). The cowhide rug (from Ikea, but similar online here) and antlers on the table are a nod to local prairie/farm style, but the mix of modern Ikea chairs and replica antique bistro table (I found this one at HomeSense, but here is a similar one from Restoration Hardware)
 photo blogIMG_8572_zps1a4d51bf.jpg
All the pillows in here are from Indigo, this past summer on clearance (and stolen from my own living room LOL).
I found the rocking chair print at Ikea as well, for only $0.10!!! They still had a pile at my store last week if you are in the Edmonton area. The frame is another Ikea purchase, and the vintage plates are out of my ridiculously large collection.
 photo blogIMG_8589_zps5d21dad8.jpg

This little wall is the first thing you see when you walk in the door.
 photo IMG_8081_zps9cc604b8.jpg

So I really wanted it to tie in with all the elements in the house, and make an impact.

I'm not sure if I mentioned it, but my family recently tore down our old cabin that was well love over the past 50+ years, but too far gone to save. We are building a new cottage out at the lake that I will give you all the details on soon, but before the bulldozers tore the old place down I saved my great grandparent's awesome old mid century modern credenza. 

It was so perfect for this spot and room that I could hardly believe it. The sentimental value and amazing price (FREE!) only make it so much more special, and it is almost like my great grandparents are helping in this family project as well.
 photo blogIMG_8669_zps8abc20a0.jpg

This sconce from Restoration Hardware is great for those of use who don't want to rip open our walls to install a new light since it is a plug-in unit. And while I ordered two for this wall, even the smallest size seems pretty big. So in the end only one went up.


The big canvas is $30 HomeSense find, and the print of the impala on a station wagon may just be my very favorite thing in the entire house! I love all of Jacqueline Schmidt's whimsical creations.


 photo blogIMG_8668_zps2b77edbd.jpg


 photo IMG_8080_zpsc4baa44f.jpg

 photo blogIMG_8609_zpsff63560e.jpg

 photo blogIMG_8587_zps48a6b2b9.jpg

So what do you think??? Totally out of my usual box, but this place just makes me happy.

10 comments:

Janis at HomeStyle said...

Just lovely, you are doing such a great job on this little cottage.

PS: just bought those YUM letters toady, and then saw this......great minds ;-)

Eva said...

I love it!!!
Good work! :)

Kelli said...

Beautiful!

Gastronomy Girl said...

What community in Edmonton is this house? Just curious :)

Unknown said...

Thanks Girls!

Where are you putting them Janice? I need ideas for when they come home lol

Gastronomy Girl, it is in Westmount :)

Stacey said...

LOVE!!!!!

xoxo
Stacey
Five Minute Style 

Ann said...

I SO love seeing your renos...I don't know how you do what you do, but you do it SO well! Cottage K looks just beautiful - what a transformation. That mirror is perfect for a small space...if I bought the place, I'd beg for that mirror to be thrown in!

Janis at HomeStyle said...

Holly, I am putting my letters on the wall next to my chalkboard / gallery wall in our dining nook. Kind of similar to how you have them here. Once my new site is up I will post and you can check'm out :-)

Freckles Chick said...

This is so so so amazing! I know there's boatloads of crazy behind the scenes of renovating but you make house flipping look better than HGTV. I need to stop paying for that channel & just tune into In The Fun Lane HD.

Unknown said...

Where are the Yum letters from? Target I heard you say earlier. Which target in the city and what section are they in???

 
Blogging tips