Monday, February 24, 2014

Foyer Flip


One of the areas of our home I rarely mention here is the foyer. The last time I tagged it in a post was way back here when we finally hung a new light (4.5 years after moving in). Things move slowly in this zone of the house for some reason...

Which is funny because it is one of my favorites, despite being completely neglected and only partially renovated. I've decided to focus on giving this area a vibe that meshes well with the rest of the house. The little tweaks other areas have undergone as far as more modern/minimalist tones in the past year never seem to translate in here. So we are starting somewhat fresh.

Here is one of the recent 'befores' of this area, and actually this dresser has also moved out of here and the metal one was the last piece of furniture to live here. But of course I got carried away and started rearranging before I thought to take a photo!


My only *new* purchase was a Ribba Frame from Ikea (meaning the Ikea desk, Target lamp and vintage chair came from CottageK, but yes, they are technically new as well)

Don't let my beautiful model distract you! But yes, the stairs are yet to be finished (we finally got our new railings just this Thursday!!! Now I have to prime and paint them and we can get them and the rest of the wood installed)



I wanted clean lines, all white furniture (to avoid competing with the wall of water paintings) and modern items to also contrast the paintings.

A couple baskets add a little texture and storage for quick access to scarves and mitts.
(big, striped basket from HomeSense, smaller woven basket is here at Ikea)

To add some impact I moved my $10 gallery painting from the talented Sarah Swanson over here and layered it over this graphic from TaraPhotoGraphics. This was so much more affordable than ordering a print large enough, the graphic was $5 to download and only $4.33 to have printed off at Staples!

I am really happy with how much lighter is is in here, with summer just around the corner.
Are you brightening up any of your spaces to get ready for warmer days?




10 comments:

Unknown said...

All fresh and clean, love it. That is a quote I haven't seen before, it's a good one. Thanks for sharing. :)

Unknown said...

The dresser looks so lovely! I love its color so much!
All photos are great! : )

❤ ✿ NEW POST ✿ ❤
Rinako

Kate Riley said...

I love everything you do and this is such a lovely refresh, your home is a breath of fresh air, I love it!
xo
Kate

Amanda said...

Gimme that desk, that print, and Wren. ;) Is that the Besta Burs desk? I can only find it in 70". Is that how wide yours is?

Unknown said...

Amanda, that is the desk. But it does have a smaller version in my store, I only know this because I think mine was $160 or somewhere in that range, but definitely not $300

Unknown said...

Oh Kate, that is the biggest compliment coming from you!

Kristina said...

Hi Holly! Love the new foyer! I've been reading your blog for a long time, but I don't think I've ever seen the outside of your house. Have you ever posted photos? You have done such an amazing job with the interior spaces but I'm very curious what the outside looks like. Is it a contemporary house, colonial, etc?

Unknown said...

Hi Holly,
Your foyer looks fab!
The flamingo tray you've used, is that from Ikea? I have the flamingo glasses and would love the tray if that's where you got it from?
Thanks
Sarah

www.ladysadiesemporium.blogspot.com

Julie said...

I'm rethinking nearly our entire home! Oh goodness. The living room is pretty much going to stay the same, just need to add a few pieces, but the family room and dining room need some help asap! Entry got a touch of spring, which I love! i'm going to have to check out that print shop, sounds like a great deal!

sina said...

did you lighten up the print?

 
Blogging tips