Thursday, July 12, 2012

Vaulted Wood Ceilings

So I mentioned that there are couple changes I want to make in the living/dining room. The first is to throw some texture and interest into the mix. Currently, our furniture is entirely center stage and while there isn't anything wrong with it I want it to feel much more natural and cohesive. My solution is going to be to panel the ceiling in wood. 

We have been so smitten with the outcome in the kitchen that we are excited to bring it into here and finally ground the room a little. Our plain jane, beyond boring view.

The only difference between the ceiling in the kitchen and what we want to do in here is that we want to add some weight to the room. Instead of randomly staggering our boards like we did in the kitchen it will be slightly more formal with the addition of beams on the wood seams.

I am not sure exactly when this plan will be put into execution and how we will logistically get this installed at these heights without killing ourselves but I am eager to tackle it!

My only decision rests on whether to paint the beams like these amazing spaces.

maybe even go with a grey or dark color on the ceiling? love this room!



unknown




Or whether we will leave it wood. I am kind of digging the wood so maybe we'll do that knowing we can always paint over it later.







6 comments:

Andrea said...

Gorgeous! I love the wood ceiling. You did a great job!

Jen Kershner said...

I love wood ceilings too! I have plans to put up some wood in at least 2 of my rooms and I'm hoping I can talk my hubby into a 3rd! Your room is going to look amazing when you are done.

Mindi said...

LOVE it! We have a couple dark wood beams in our vaulted living room... we've been pondering paneling up there as well! These inspiration pics are gorgeous! Now I am itchy to get started!

Leah Wickett said...

I cannot wait to see your "after" photos. I'm sure you will do an amazing job, you always do!

Becky said...

Hi Holly,
We happen to have plank slopped ceilings in out living room and master bedroom. Def a reason we bought, so much character. Only thing is, they are kind of cinnamon in color. HUGE under taking to paint hence we have not yet! I dont think JOsh is up for it! Maybe our master....Another design issue is how to style the walls hat are slanted. I should do a blog post on this very topic!? any ideas??? Have a great weekend! BEcky :)

Natasha @ Northern Light Design said...

FYI, Image number 5 is of danish designer DAY Birger et Mikkelsen's vacation home in St. Barths. :)

 
Blogging tips