Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Ahhh, the weather has been perfectly dreamy here, and from what I understand we are having yet another winter revival back home (not trying to rub it in for all you poor Edmontonians, I feel your pain!). But like at home, we are doing pretty much the norm: decorating!

My parents have very traditional tastes mixed with a touch of bling (think HUGE antique gilt frames) and a smidge of french country simplicity. So it is a far departure from our solid white abode. But we have been having a blast.

This painting is one of my Dad's favorites and greets you opposite the front door. I also love this painting because it was one of the only pieces of art that stayed in place for our wedding, and it depicts a spanish wedding.

Just yesterday my mom scoped out this amazing antique folding screen! We have been looking for something to fill a whole wall in the dining room so she had the genius idea to take it apart and hang it as art.

It looks beatiful and really adds a lot of drama~



The last couple of days our focus has primarily been on the sitting room just off the kitchen. We decided to add pops of blue and green, in lighter hues to make it a little more fun.

We found this chair at Pier 1 yesterday and wanted it so badly we took the floor model home right away. The blue and grey pin stripes are perfect, in fact I think I need this chair at home now!


Last week we picked up this book case so we can fill it up with all the cook books and decorating books. It is the exact color as the new kitchen cabinets so it ties everything together well, and the lighter upholstery really feel fresh near it. We are still undecided on the fruit art above, but we will figure it out...

One of our other gems was this large oil canvas at TJ Maxx on clearance! We love it, but think it needs something more so we are going to do an aged monogram H just above the bough of fruit tonight with some gold paint and stain. We will share the results tomorrow hopefully!


We still have to pull together some more stuff and accessories but we are getting there and I should have a full tour for you by the end of our stay.
Now we are off to burn some credit cards at the outlets!!

19 comments:

Pudel-design said...

Oh what a pretty sneak;)
I love to see more, can`t wait! ;)

Greetings from Germany...

Melissa said...

That chair is To. Die. So pretty!

ellenhopes said...

hope your having a fabulous holiday...my husband just called & he left Disbury this am and 4hrs later he still is not to Edmonton, i guess it's a real mess out there! so enjoy the sun and the pool and of course the shopping too.

Kacey said...

Sounds like you guys are keeping busy on your little vacation! But it looks like the fun kind of busy, which is the best kind. It looks like it's coming together very well. LOVE that chair. Enjoy!

Angie said...

Looks gorgeous!! Can't wait to see what you do next!!

Jessica said...

Wow! What's the name of that Pier One chair? I just checked online and couldn't find it, but I've got to have one (or two)!

Randi said...

Looks great so far Holly! I think it's fun when you get the chance to decorate so differently than you're usual style.

And yes...it is C.O.L.D. here, windy and snowy. Typical May weather. Can't wait to see what's in store for May long wknd.

Take Care

Amanda said...

that chair makes my heart beat fast. do you (or anyone else) know what the style name is? i cant seem to find it on their site and i am IN LOVE.

so glad you're enjoying your getaway lovely. :)

Unknown said...

I can't believe this chair is at Pier 1, fantastic find. I am thinking where this would fit in my home. I really like the new bookcase next to it and the folding screens turned into wall art (it really adds a lot to the space).
I am new to your blog and really enjoying it!

Little Lovables said...

lovely home, that chair is gorgeous and so comfortable looking as well

Radostina // 79ideas.org said...

oh... so pretty... :)
love that chair.

xoxo,
raru

Danica said...

Luckily, the "winter" weather only lasted one day. Yesterday was very white, but it all melted. Today it's just cool, but at least the sun's out. Glad you're enjoying the sun and warmth!

Sandra D said...

Thanks for the tour. Everything looks great! That screen is perfect in the dining room. Yesterday I almost emailed you some photos of the devastation (i.e. snowstorm). Say hi to everyone there & enjoy the rest of your stay in paradise.

Sami Jo said...

ahhh! I love that striped chair - purrrr... come to mama. *wink*

Chestnut Sparrow said...

I have been on the pier 1 site and can't find the chair either, very sad. It is so perfect. A blend of sophistication yet looks casual. Looks like you are having fun!

Domestic Ease said...

Holly, that chair is TO DIE FOR!!! I am headed to Pier 1 today to check it out--hopefully, it will be a new member of our family before the year is out! ;)

Have a great day!

Hugs - Kristin

Stacy of KSW said...

Great job Holly, I can't imagine decorating with my Mom that would end in such disaster. Strangely enough my MIL, would have a blast :) Thank God for great MIL's!! I'm so ecstatic you posted that chair, it is EXACTLy what I've been looking for ~ Thanks!

rose said...

i love how you guys dismantled that screen- it looks awesome on the wall!
and check out the Eisenhower Hospital Thrift store- it's in Rancho Mirage on HWY 111 across from the Porsche dealership. i have found many gems there over the years. it's WAY cheaper than going to all those consignment stores. ;)

Kate said...

My husband and I fell in love with that chair and I am trying to find a way to surprise him with it. Gorgeous finds!

 
Blogging tips