Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Diaper Station Re-Do


Wow! The last 2 weeks have been a whirlwind of activity over here, and while I can't wait to share the final pics, I do have one project that I think turned out pretty great (if I do say so myself). For those of you who know me, you already know that I love to buy old things and make them new again, especially when it comes to furniture. I think it adds character to a room by mixing things up and not sticking with manufactured, coordinating pieces. Last spring I spied this really cute dresser on my local Craigslist, and picked it up for a measly $25, knowing that while I didn't have room for it at the time it would come in handy later on. I decided to refinish it to go in the baby's nursery as a change table, and so here are the easy steps to refinish a piece you might have sitting in the basement or garage that is just begging for a second chance:
1. Strip the piece with a handheld electric sander. You could do it manually with sand paper, but it will be a little more time consuming.
2. Prime the piece so that the old finish doesn't come up and stain your new coat of paint. Then paint away!
3. Add new knobs or pulls for a different look! I actually decided to fore-go knobs all together and instead placed these fun, faux-antique enamel numbers on each drawer to add a unique twist since it is for a nursery.
Now I just need to add the change pad (and the baby!)

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

It looks great! And so do the floors and the wainscoting. Now we just need pics of your baby belly. :)

Lindsey said...

WOW! Great job!!

Stephany said...

you have such great ideas! can't wait to see the rest of the room =)

Unknown said...

love it!

Amber said...

looks great you are awesome!

Mrs.HVK said...

Nice work, looks great!

Mommy Moreno said...

wow! arent you handy?! :) it looks great!

Erin Southwell said...

Hi Holly! I absolutely adore those little numbers!! For me, that took it from a really good redo to an all out fantastic one!:)

Anonymous said...

It looks great along with the rest of the room (love the wainscotting and gorgeous floors)! Can't wait to see the finished room.

Anonymous said...

Wow! Perfect! Where did you get the garland and crib from?

 
Blogging tips