Sunday, June 15, 2014

Small Teacher Gift

IMG_8184

This year we wanted to give Wren's teachers a little thank you that could stick around indefinitely. So we decided on herbs, which are super affordable (and can even be found at the grocery store) and the pots were a great deal at 2 for $1 at the local dollar store. But that didn't seem too exciting so we added a little pop of fun to it with a quick and easy faux flower.

IMG_8162

Over the next couple weeks I will be sharing a couple projects that I pulled together using the bright and fun papers the awesome folks at AstroBrights Papers sent my way. They have some really fun colours to play with and various stocks of paper so that you can find the right density depending on your craft.

I chose to pair 'plasma pink', 'rocket red' and 'stardust white' which has some little speckles of colour in it for this project, but you can do any colour combo you like, with as many or few papers as you desire. The only other supplies needed are a small dowel or kabob skewer, scissors and tap.

Cut a 3 to 4 inch strip of your papers.
IMG_8163

Then just eyeball and cut strips about a quarter inch apart along the length of your papers (I just held and cut all three together to save time), only cutting to about three quarters of an inch from the edge.
IMG_8165

Then wrap the uncut edge around the skewer and tape in place.
IMG_8169
IMG_8170

To make it 'bloom' I simply rolled the strips gently outward on my fingers and played with it till it looked like I wanted it.
IMG_8173

Next, I made a little sign for the pot, and I wanted it to tie in with the vintage plate I used as a saucer so I did a quick swipe of water colour along the bottom of the paper.
IMG_8177

Then we stamped a little message.
IMG_8179

Finally, for the card we used this cute one I found at Urban Outfitters (which you could easily recreate at home!), but to personalize it we taped a picture of Wren's name from last summer that I took on my phone and printed in a batch of photos from Printic a while ago. I love keeping a variety of these Polaroid-like photos around to use in cards and on gifts, and this one made a cute addition to the front of the card.
IMG_8187

A little twine around the pot for some extra colour and in no time we had a cute, easy and homemade gift to tell Wren's teacher and teacher's assistant just how much we appreciate them!
IMG_8183

1 comment:

 
Blogging tips