Monday, March 14, 2011

Rug fail

Photobucket

I am kind of sad today, because I will be returning my new cow-hide rug. I decided to go for more of a patchwork look because the texture was so beautiful, but this giant desk seems to dwarf it.
Photobucket Unfortunately, it is the largest size in that style so it is back to the drawing board for floor coverings (which is extra depressing because I managed to hunt around and find the rug on clearance for $230!).
I have also changed the game plan ever so slightly by adding a few fun pops of yellow and will be searching for a fun fabric or curtain with hints of yellow to cover my armoire (we had to take the doors off the closet to accomodate it).
And my newly upholstered chair has me kind of falling in love with it sans-slipcover. I can always add one later, so we may just leave it alone for now.
Photobucket
We've also hung our drapes. Bringing in the touch of yellow we added whimsical pompoms in a bright canary on the bottom.
Photobucket
For $9 in pompoms and some stitch-witchery we jazzed up our Ikea curtains in about 30 minutes of ironing.
Photobucket
As for closet progress, I found these glamorous green glass wall hooks from Urban Outfitters. They will be the perfect spot to hang the next days outfit! The fabric was a super sale find ($3/meter) and will be used to do a fun pillow for our chair.
Photobucket
Which was also covered in the same sand colored fabric, but I am definitely slipcovering this one in a soft white linen.
Photobucket
We've had some hits and misses this week, but it is coming along!

19 comments:

Emily said...

Jealous of your style sense!

Anonymous said...

Loving the rug and the desk!

Unknown said...

The pom poms are so cute!

Unknown said...

i am SO sad that rug didnt work out for you... it is dreamy!

Rachel Noelle Pallas said...

Oh bummer!! Im sure you will find a rug that is perfect though!!;) Love your little additions to your room~Cant wait to see how it turns out! Hugs,Rachel

French Farmhouse 425

sharon santoni at my french country home said...

What a shame the rug had to go, I loved it against those dark boards, and it was a great texture.
Sharon

InteriorGroupie said...

What a post!! This is like app's, dinner and dessert all in one. I love love love the chair. love. I love the ball fringe (ha!) and those knobs are to die for. What a great idea to use them as hooks.

InteriorGroupie said...

Oh yah...it's disapppointing about the rug. but honestly, every thing else in that post makes up for it!

Unknown said...

Its funny how things work out that way, isn't it? The room looks great so far and I'm sure it will turn out beautiful.

Kacey said...

Looking fabulous! I love how you manage to pull together all the seemingly random elements. Loving the idea of pops of yellow (the pom-poms are so fun!).

Anonymous said...

Idea.... Couldn't you add a border of a different texture to the rug's perimeter to make it a better size without losing that awesomely cool rug? GREAT pieces in there!

Robyn said...

So sorry about the rug story. The right one will come along. If it doesn't then just buy this same one again, replace the desk and send me this gorgeous one and I'll look after it for you - forever ;)

Wiggs (The Beholder) said...

So - when you mentioned the patchwork cowhide rug, I had a different one in mind. There are a couple out there that are in larger patterns. The Rug Company has one in a floral, and decorati has a herringbone one that makes me die when I look at it. Also check out PureRugs, Kyle Bunting, and Yerra (look for Yerra on Amazon). Can you tell I'm obsessed? I seeeriously think you should try another white cowhide rug...they're incredible! And rustic! And unique! And amazing! But I agree that the one you ended up with was too small-scale for your incred desk. :) Good thing there are so many options! Love everything else you've done.

Anonymous said...

Too bad! The texture of the rug looked amazing. The rest of the room really seems to be coming together though- great job!

gemma@thesweetestdigs

Lindsey said...

I've had my eye on those wall hooks for a while! I think I need to snag some for my bedroom, actually, because who doesn't need more hooks in their bedroom. :)

The White City Project said...

I love your colour scheme for this room (pompoms are too cute!). Too bad about the rug :( I have to say, I think that armoire is too big for the closet, just my two cents.

. said...

Seagrass rugs! Love the one you had above, but you can get huge seagrass ones to fit any space. Lovely color and texture too.

Good luck finding something you love!

................. said...

Gosh I love that desk...it's beautiful!!! And I am also loving pom-poms right now too...recently bought a few yards for some pillows I will be making :-) To bad on the rug...hope you find one soon, and I am sure it will look fabulous

Lovely Little Nest said...

LOVE the wall hooks! Can't wait to see them in the space. :)

 
Blogging tips