Monday, June 24, 2013

Barn Board Table Runner

 photo _MG_5929_zpsc5d5b648.jpg 
Today I am sharing one of those rare projects that requires no cutting, sewing, nailing, gluing, painting, well basically anything besides two hands and maybe a damp washcloth. 

Last summer I drove past a garage sale that looked promising while I was out doing errands. I stopped to quickly take a peek and found a few goodies, but just as I was loading up a chair in my trunk I noticed a pile of wood tied with twine next to the garbage can. I asked the homeowner if he would be interested in selling the pile for a dollar or two. He looked at me like I had a second head coming out of my neck! 

The thought of someone paying for his garbage was the most amusing thing he'd ever heard and he quickly loaded the little bundle into my trunk before I could change my mind (not that I would!).
 photo _MG_5915_zpsc9f5014d.jpg

Sean was almost as confounded by the bundle as the old man and while I knew that my crafty side would appreciate the little stash at some point a whole year drifted by before I came up with anything. Sean nearly tossed the pile a few weeks ago as he was cleaning out the garage so I decided to come up with something, even if just for now, until I have a 'real' plan.

The easiest, and least permanent project I could think of was to just lay it out on the table! 

 photo _MG_5919_zpsd4ae50e8.jpg

I LOVE the more modern, sleek feel we've been going towards in the dining room but I felt a little texture and warmth would be a nice contrast for a while.
 photo _MG_5925_zpsc2c166db.jpg
I no particular order I just staggered the boards and even layered them a little for interest.
 photo _MG_5935_zps4afcb010.jpg 

I thought it looked pretty cool with candles as well (I had to set them all on here when I moved in our new buffet last week, I promise to show you this week!)
 photo _MG_5930_zps095f5b33.jpg 

Wren has been having fun adding various jars and little bud vases with her floral finds from the yard, and I don't have to worry too much about water ruining the finish on the table as she splashes about.
 photo _MG_5921_zps3270e171.jpg



 photo bloglovinpost_zps9d7ecd92.jpg

5 comments:

Emily said...

So simple yet so awesome, loove!!

Douglas said...

I just looked at some barn wood the other day at the salvage place (did you catch that pic, by the way??!!) but pretty sure their price wasn't "garbage pile sitting by the street" pricing. :) This would be amazing in my house! I'm thinking I'd use it to build a mantel surround....Marissa

flowerlady464 said...

Love it....could see it on my table too...will be on the hunt!

Proud Momma said...

Love those delicate beautiful pink flowers against the rough wood :-)

Erin said...

Love this! I have some barn wood just waiting for good use and this is perfect!

 
Blogging tips